Mahaffey & Associates, LLC
Call For A Free Consultation 888-422-6894
Email Us

Toledo Law Blog

Can passengers in my car drink alcohol while I drive?

Shouldn't passengers in your car be able to drink alcoholic beverages? Unfortunately, even though they are not directly operating your car, because of Ohio's open container laws, passengers in vehicles cannot consume alcoholic beverages. Open container laws prohibit the transportation within your vehicle of any open containers of alcohol.

There are only a couple of exceptions to this rule. If the alcohol is a bottle of wine, you can carry it in the trunk if you have recorked or or replaced the cap on the bottle. Also, in some cases, people who hire limosene drivers and chauffers may drink in the backseat of vehicles, if they have signed a contract on the matter in advance.

Crash at motocross event injures 7 near Akron

Seven people suffered injuries recently during a motocross event at the Summit County Fairgrounds near Akron.

Two people were reported to have serious injuries they suffered when a motorbike went airborne and wound up in the stands at the fairground, police said.

Young parents, new baby: The perfect time for estate planning

Someone close to you has just had a baby. Congratulations! Maybe you're now Ohio's newest grandparent or an uncle, trying to find the perfect gift to welcome the baby to the world.

Instead of a stroller or a stuffed animal, how about helping the new parents create an estate plan?

Ohio bankruptcy laws: What you should know

Filing bankruptcy is not a decision to take lightly. It means your debt is insurmountable and will not go away in continuing circumstances.

When you decide you need to stop the collection calls and certified letters, bankruptcy may become the answer. The laws in Ohio classify bankruptcy in different categories. Do you know which one is right for you?

What to expect when adopting a child in Ohio

Children are waiting in Ohio for a family. You've considered becoming an adoptive parent but just aren't sure what the process entails.

Here's a brief look at what will occur should you decide to pursue parenthood:

  1. Before making any decisions, bring your immediate family together. Discuss how your family will change with a new person in the house and talk about the benefits and the potential challenges you could face by adopting.
  2. The state of Ohio offers a comprehensive look at adoption on its website. It includes a list of adoption agencies in the state. Review the agencies to determine which one you'd like to work with.
  3. Meet with the agency to learn about what's ahead. There likely will be an orientation to allow you and other prospective parents to ask questions.
  4. Take part in training, and fill out a formal application. The training is required, and you'll get a deeper look at adoption, including the child's point of view.
  5. Prepare for a home study. The process can be tedious and requires patience. You will have home visits that include safety audits, and you will have to provide significant documentation, such as medical and financial statements.
  6. As part of a home study, the assessor will work with you to determine the type of child, including age and gender, that will best fit into your family. Once you are approved, a search for a match can begin. When that potential match is identified, there will be meetings to determine if you and the child are a suitable match. There likely will be other prospective parents being considered, so you might not be chosen for this child.
  7. You could have a chance to meet with the child several times in get-to-know-you sessions. Such visits help with the transition as everyone gets to know each other.
  8. Homecoming! Integrate the child into your household. You will have another visit, and you can learn more about services available to you.

Is your credit card debt unmanageable? Learn your options

You pull the mail out of the box, and there they are: the post-Christmas credit card bills. As much as you'd like to, you can't put them in the shredder or hide them under the stack of papers on the kitchen table that you won't unbury until about the same time the Ohio snow melts this spring.

You've got to open them, unfortunately.

Ohio man acquitted of drug, firearm charges

A jury acquitted a Marion, Ohio, man of drug charges following a three-day trial recently.

The man, 33, was facing a number of drug charges, including a first-degree felony count of cocaine possession. He was indicted after officers discovered nearly 46 grams of cocaine, a firearm and other drugs as they searched a house where the man was living.

Exercising your right to remain silent can be tough

If you are a fan of action movies or true crime shows, you have probably heard officers advise suspects of their right to remain silent. This advisement is part of the broader warning officers read to detained individuals before they question them. Once you assert your right to remain silent, officers should stop asking you questions. 

Whether you are innocent or guilty of a crime, you have the right not to incriminate yourself. That is, you usually do not have to answer questions from law enforcement. Still, with the stress of police questioning, exercising your right to remain silent can be challenging. Here are some tips that may help you assert this fundamental right. 

Tell Us About Your Legal Need

Tell Us About Your Problem

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

A Full Service Firm For Northwest Ohio with Three Convenient Locations 24/7 Phones And Appointments Taken at 888-422-6894

Sylvania Office
8527 Central Avenue
Sylvania, OH 43560

Toll Free: 888-422-6894
Phone: 419-829-2255
Sylvania Law Office Map

Northwood Office
3200 Woodville Road
Northwood, OH 43619

Toll Free: 888-422-6894
Phone: 419-693-5515
Northwood Law Office Map

Toledo Office
3131 Executive Parkway, Suite 100
Toledo, OH 43606

Toll Free: 888-422-6894
Phone: 419-472-5555
Toledo Law Office Map