Mahaffey & Associates, LLC
Call For A Free Consultation 888-422-6894
Email Us

Could your child benefit from a custody modification?

When you and your child's other parent either separated or divorced, you likely drew up some sort of governing child custody arrangement. This arrangement may have been drawn up formally or informally, with or without the assistance of experienced family law attorneys. In the years since this arrangement was drawn up, your child has grown and your family life has almost certainly evolved. Because the needs of children tend to change over time, it is entirely possible that elements of your child custody arrangement no longer reflect your child's best interests.

Courts are generally bound to honor the "best interests of the child" standard when approving child custody agreements and parenting plans. However, the legal system is far from perfect and these arrangements do not always reflect a child's best interests. In addition, few courts insist upon the construction of parenting plans that evolve as the needs and interests of the child in question evolve. Thankfully, child custody agreements and parenting plans can be formally modified under numerous circumstances.

A few years ago, The New York Times published a controversial opinion piece authored by a marriage and family therapist. This piece explores the concept of "best interests" as they pertain to children whose lives are governed by child custody agreements. The author insists that the needs of divorced parents often eclipse the needs of their children when custody agreements are drafted. In addition, the author argues that parenting plans should be updated and modified regularly to ensure that, for example, a teenager's life is not governed by an agreement penned when that teen was only a toddler.

Whether you agree or disagree with the idea that custody agreements should be automatically constructed with an "update schedule" attached, your child's situation may be such that a custody modification could benefit him or her in significantly positive ways. Even if your child's other parent opposes modification, there may be ways to modify your child's custody agreement regardless. If you have any questions about child custody modifications, please speak with an attorney. If your child could sincerely benefit from an adjustment, a family law court may agree to enforce one.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Tell Us About Your Legal Need

Tell Us About Your Problem

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

A Full Service Firm For Northwest Ohio with Three Convenient Locations 24/7 Phones And Appointments Taken at 888-422-6894

Sylvania Office
8527 Central Avenue
Sylvania, OH 43560

Toll Free: 888-422-6894
Phone: 419-829-2255
Sylvania Law Office Map

Northwood Office
3200 Woodville Road
Northwood, OH 43619

Toll Free: 888-422-6894
Phone: 419-693-5515
Northwood Law Office Map

Toledo Office
3131 Executive Parkway, Suite 100
Toledo, OH 43606

Toll Free: 888-422-6894
Phone: 419-472-5555
Toledo Law Office Map