Trusted Toledo Attorneys Here For You In Difficult Times

  1. Home
  2.  — 
  3. Family Law
  4.  — Calculating child support is Ohio: Are you paying too much, too little?

Calculating child support is Ohio: Are you paying too much, too little?

On Behalf of | Jan 31, 2017 | Family Law

In Ohio, child support is generally determined using a specific formula that takes into account several factors, including the number of children involved as well as the combined gross income of the both the father and mother.

In some cases, this calculation can be quite complex, especially when you consider the various income deductions that may come into play, such as deductions related to other dependent children, other child support orders and existing spousal support orders. To make matters even more confusing, additional adjustments to child support may occur depending on health insurance and child care costs.

While you can certainly review the actual statute that outlines the basic child support schedule in Ohio, an experienced attorney would probably be able to explain this complicated process more clearly. In any case, however, if you believe you are paying too much in child support – or receiving too little – there are steps you can take to change your child support obligation.

Modifying child support in Ohio

If you want to modify your child support order, you can generally do one of two things: request a change from the Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA) or file a motion to modify your child support with the court that issued the original child support order.

In most cases, you must wait until your child support order is at least three-years-old before you can ask the CSEA for a modification – although there are certain exceptions to this rule, such as when you have experienced a 30 percent change in income, you have been out of work for at least 30 days or you have become permanently injured, just to name a few. However, once they CSEA reviews your child support order, they may recommend a modification of your payment or, alternatively, for your payments to remain the same.

Similarly, if you ask the court to modify your child support obligation, you typically need to show that a significant change in circumstances – such as a substantial increase or decrease to the income of either parent – will result in at least a 10 percent change in the child support order.

Regardless of which route you think is best for your situation, it is always a good idea to have a skilled and knowledgeable attorney in your corner helping you along the way.